Session 1: Topical Tax Issues for Accountants
Brendan will explore some of the more interesting and topical tax issues raised by Practitioners and clients over the past year, including:
- Tax Compliance – importance of managing risks
- Irish subsidiaries of non-Irish companies
- Offshore assets and income
- The EIC v The Employee Tax Credit
- VAT on Property – avoidable but persistent problem areas
- PREM Interventions and the move to ‘real-time PAYE’
- Employee Expenses – the Quest continues
Speaker: Brendan Twohig, MK Brazil
Session 2: Key Tax Issues for SMEs and Owner-Managers
The session, Key Issues for SMEs and Owner-Managers, will provide business owners and their financial advisors a concise overview of some of the key tax issues for their businesses. The session will include:
- Financing and tax incentives;
- Retention of staff and tax implications;
- Retirement, succession planning, disposal of your business and key tax considerations.
Speaker: Grayson Buckley, Crowe Horwath
Session 3: Finance Bill 2017 – The Busy Practitioner’s Guide
The Finance Bill 2017 once again contains many provisions that will affect the clients of all professionals who provide tax advice. This course will provide an overview of the main provisions of Finance Bill 2017, with a particular focus on those elements most relevant to attendees, including:
- A review of the changes to personal taxation including the introduction and expansion of income tax and capital gains tax reliefs
- A detailed outline of the application of new tax reliefs and exemptions for businesses including those particularly affecting SMEs and property investors
- An analysis of the changes to various tax reliefs arising as a result of the Companies Act 2014
- A guide to all other relevant changes
Speaker: Daragh O’Shaughnessy
Session 4: Revenue Updates 2017 – What Recent Tax Guidance Means for You & Your Clients
The published guidance and precedent provided by Revenue and the Tax Appeals Commission give practitioners an invaluable insight into how Revenue officials approach tax issues. Tax advisers can only give effective and valuable tax advice to their clients if they are first familiar with the approach taken by Revenue and the Appeals Commissioners. It is therefore important to keep up to date on the latest developments relevant to our clients. This course will give a detailed analysis of the practical implications of recent published guidance including:
- Revenue’s review of medical consultant incorporations and the proposed extension to other professions
- Recent decisions by the Tax Appeals Commission regarding income tax, CGT, CAT and more
- Revenue guidance on recent changes to VAT on education and training
- Revenue guidance on the tax treatment of offshore funds
Speaker: Daragh O’Shaughnessy
Brendan Twohig, MK Brazil
Having worked with a portfolio of personal and corporate clients as a tax consultant since the late 1980’s, Brendan has gained a diverse experience with particular expertise in property structuring, tax based investments, corporate restructuring, estate and succession planning. Brendan is an experienced speaker and has written many tax based articles.
Grayson Buckley, Crowe Horwath
Grayson is a Partner in the Crowe Horwath’s Tax Department. A Fellow of Chartered Accountants Ireland and an AITI Chartered Tax Adviser, Grayson has over 18 years’ professional experience. Grayson provides tax planning and consultancy services to a wide range of individuals and corporate clients operating in Ireland and internationally. In addition he routinely provides personal tax planning for owners and shareholders including succession planning.
Grayson also Crowe Horwath’s our VAT practice and provides VAT advice to clients in the commercial and not-for-profit sectors. His specialisms include, VAT advice on property transactions, recoverability, international supplies of goods and services and devising strategies to assist in reducing VAT liabilities, and increasing costs efficiencies, especially for clients without full recovery rates.
Daragh O’Shaughnessy, Chartered Tax Advisor
Daragh has provided expert tax advice to a diverse range of personal and corporate clients, from sole traders to High Net Worth investors and SMEs to multinationals for over 15 years. His CPD lectures and articles view tax issues from a practical perspective that can put to immediate use in attendees’ day-to-day business, as well as using technical analysis for a deeper understanding of the issues.