This online CPD course will outline the ten most topical and impactful queries to have crossed the OmniPro Tax & Legal Team’s desk in 2020
- Structuring termination payments for voluntary strike offs – how to document and cover off the fact the director must remain in situ until the application has been completed.
- Close company professional surcharge – the relevance for accountants and other professional services.
- For construction and developer clients, the importance of asking the correct questions to assess whether the corporation tax rate is really 12.5% and whether VAT is reclaimable on certain upgrades of second hand residential property. Also looking at the Forgotten Rule.
- Dividends paid between group companies. DWT and the importance of having procedures to ensure section 434(3a) election is completed to prevent close company surcharge issues in the recipient. What, why and how.
- Members Voluntary Liquidations and Entrepreneurial Relief in a group situation
- Share buyback with family restructuring – the unspoken CAT risk 598 (Retirement Relief on transfers to 3rd parties) and S.599 (Retirement Relief transfers within the Family)
- How the tax valuation rules for shares can give different valuations for the three tax heads CAT, CGT and Stamp Duty. Another common forgotten rule that can have disastrous consequences.
- RCT and the connected persons rule. The Get Out and the Double Check and a change in Revenue approach for companies taking over a shareholders sole trader business?
- The risks where proprietary directors of companies provide services through other companies owned by them and some Revenue challenges we are seeing in the area.
- Capital tax items and the creation of a group through a Share for Share Transaction. The potential impact on Business Asset Relief if a transfer happens within 5 years & preventing a clawback of Section 599 retirement relief.
CDP Course Facilitators:
Des O’Neill: Co-Founder and Managing Director, OmniPro
Having worked for a number of years in practice, Des O’Neill co-founded OmniPro to develop tools, techniques, products and services, empowering accountants to achieve their best. Over 15 years, he has grown the company to a multi-million-euro turnover business and established OmniPro as Ireland’s largest independent provider of CPD for accountants.
Des speaks regularly, at national and international fora, on practice development, auditing, accounting, company law and regulation. He is passionate about bringing innovation to the profession and empowering accountants to achieve what they want in their careers and practice.
John Murphy: Tax, Corporate Restructuring and Practice Support, OmniPro
As a lead member of our technical support team, John relishes problem-solving to help accountants develop innovative client solutions and sharing technical knowledge on tax, financial reporting and auditing.
A Chartered Tax Adviser, he advises clients in practice on a range of issues from income tax, tax planning, restructuring and exit planning to Revenue audits. In addition, he provides support on financial reporting, auditing and company law; conducts company valuations and advises on pre-sale restructuring.
John also plays a key role as a researcher and subject-matter expert in developing OmniPro information products such as the CompaniesAct2014.com and FRS102.com. As a speaker at OmniPro CPD events, he brings these industry-leading insights to accountants participating in our training programmes.
A Chartered Accountant and Qualified Financial Adviser, John has over a decade’s Big 4 experience with EY and PwC, providing tax and audit services for a portfolio of clients, ranging in scale from SMEs to multinationals.