The online CPD course will give all attendees the following insights:
- Back to basics analysis of the different type of trusts that a practitioner may come across when dealing with a diverse range of clients
- Understanding the concepts of a trust settlor, trustee and beneficiary
- How trusts are taxed
- Where trusts are required by law
- Where the use of a trust may be appropriate and form part of tax planning
- Where the use of a trust may result in additional tax costs
- What reporting and filings advisers need to be aware of when dealing with trusts
CPD Course Facilitator:
Joe Thompson – Joe Thompson Tax Advisors
Joe is a Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) having become an Associate of the Irish Tax Institute in 2002. After finishing the Bachelor of Science (Management) Degree course in DIT/Trinity College Dublin, Joe started in a role as trainee tax adviser with a private client tax firm in Dublin and qualified as a CTA in 2002.
Joe gained experience during 2001 while on secondment in Jersey, the Channel Islands where he worked in offshore trust and company administration. During 2004, Joe worked in Australia in the taxation departments of State Street and Multiplex, a quoted property and development company based in Sydney, Australia.
Following a return to Ireland in 2005, Joe worked with three of the top private client tax firms in Dublin including working as an Associate Director of a private client tax firm in the period from 2010 to early 2020.
Joe formed Joe Thompson Tax Advisors in 2020 as a private client tax firm aimed at providing high-quality tax advice mainly to high net worth individuals. Joe Thompson Tax Advisors also provide taxation advice to families, partnerships, trustees, executors, small/medium businesses and other professionals.
Joe has contributed through lecturing and drafting material for the Irish Taxation Institute including the recent Certificate in Capital Taxes for Private Clients course in October 2019 and has presented on the Taxation of Private Client Investments as part of the Irish Taxation Institute CPD Round-Up conferences. Joe has presented regularly to clients and private banks on private client matters.